Monday, September 1, 2008

Perfect? Or Process?

I'm sure, like myself, a lot of you have "visions" for particular things in your life.

Right now, a lot of my visions are for the store. I get a certain picture in my mind of what I want an area to look like, and I set to work "creating" it. Several things happen while I am doing that.


One, is that I never seem to have just the "perfect piece" to go in just the "perfect place" I want it to be, to look just the "perfect way"I want it to look. I spend a lot of time going through all the inventory I have stacked everywhere to try to find that "perfect" piece.
Another thing that happens, is sometimes I experience a 'very slight frustration' that I cannot get things done when I want, how I want.

I guess you can tell, that because of my search for "perfection", I get little done in the "perfect" amount of time and looking the "perfect" way I want it to be done.

Well, such is the curse of "perfectionism".
I say I am a recovering "perfectionist", which usually gets a chuckle from the person that I am saying it to. (Often it is to a new student that I recognize has the same disease I do). =0)

Just when I think I have put the little guy (the curse, not the student) in it's place, it rears it's head again.

So, what is the answer? What do I do with this problem?
Well this morning, (while I was walking of course) , I realized I've fallen back into "the perfectionist zone" with the new room at the shop. The "Pretty in Pink" area that we have already worked on a month, and it is still not "perfect".

Then I remembered what I said in the Country Register article about the store. "When asked what she's learned...Barbara responded "I've learned to ask for help, and that everything takes longer than you think. I'm learning to be content each day, whatever comes, and to enjoy the process as much as the result." ZING! OUCH!
I have to eat my own words!

So, the long sought after solution, and reminder from the Lord? Step back, take a deep breath, make sure you have your priorities straight (for me, God, family, friends, everything else), and keep plugging away. Remember that there is no "perfect". Life, (and the store display) can change in an instant. So enjoy every moment of the process while we are here, and thank the Lord for a healthy mind and body that can even think "Pretty in Pink". =0)

Hope you enjoy the process of this day. Blessings.

No comments: