Wednesday, November 11, 2009


WHAT AM I GRATEFUL FOR?

I was just on a blog that was having a contest.
To enter, you were supposed to tell something you were grateful for.
Not unusual this time of year.
Seems everyone has some kind of a grateful 'thing' going on.
And that is a good thing.
Something we should do every day, to be mindful of all our blessings.

I guess I was a little surprised by the first thing that came into my mind.
My first thought was about that fella in the top pic of my post today.
My sweet husband of nearly 41 years.

My first thought was that I am grateful for this man who
worked most of his life to support and his wife and children.
And my second thought was that i was grateful that he is in good health
so he can enjoy his much earned retirement.
I pray each night for years of good health so he can enjoy his retirement.


My next thought was that I am grateful that my parents have moved here.
My Dad has dementia, and it saddens my heart
to see him getting worse as time goes on.
But, I'm grateful for each time he remembers who I am.
And that he says to say hi to Scott, my sweet fella.
I see the confusion on his face sometimes,
but I'm grateful that sometimes he knows who and where he is.
I'm grateful for my Mom, who cares for him,
though i can see in her eyes, she is tired.
I'm grateful they have the strength of the Lord to keep them going.




And this is my brother and 'sis'. (sis-in-law).
I'm grateful that they have opened up their home to our parents.
Not a very big home, just one small extra bedroom.
But, they made room.
I'm grateful for their tender, loving, daily care for
Mom and Dad, for whatever time they decide to be there.

And I'm most grateful for a God who knows all that is happening,
love us with more love than we can ever imagine,
thinks of us every moment of every day,
and tenderly cares for us all, under that shadow of His wing.

Lord, help me to remember you are here
and hold me close as you collect every tear in a bottle.

````````````````

Blessings to you all.

Barbara Jean

1 comment:

The Rustic Victorian said...

Hi Barb,
I guess you got a keeper! LOL Does he read your blog? Mine dosen't. I think I saw that blog too, about gratitude. I love it the way a blog can jolt my thinking into a better place.
Blessings in your day.
Marcie