Monday, June 27, 2011

This helped me, about my fear and anxiety

Courage is fear prayed for.

Everyone feels afraid many times during life. However, when the Bible instructs us to "fear not," it doesn't mean not to feel afraid; rather, it means to decide to press on even in the face of fear.

Several times, the Israelites were instructed to "be strong and courageous." For example, in Deuteronomy 31:6, Moses commanded Israel: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Even in the face of fear, we too must "be strong and courageous."

Indeed, we are encouraged in 1 Corinthians 16:13 to be men of courage; be strong. So, next time you feel afraid, overcome your feelings through prayer so that you can "be strong and courageous."


This is part of a morning devotional, Christ's Notes, that I read each day. It really helped me think about my fear (anxiety), in a different way.

That first paragraph, " Everyone feels afraid many times during life. However, when the Bible instructs us to "fear not," it doesn't mean not to feel afraid; rather, it means to decide to press on even in the face of fear." actually made me see I am a courageous person, a conqueror, because many times I have felt anxious, and I kept moving ahead with my day, my life.

I wake up anxious most mornings, and spend time trying to figure out why I am anxious, or trying to work through it, or beating myself up because the Bible said 'be anxious for nothing' and I feel anxious.

But, each day I do continue to get up, continue to function, continue to pray, continue to go on with life, continue to love and encourage and care about other people.

I do not take pills or drink to numb me, I do not just sleep the day away to escape the feelings I have.

I AM A CONQUEROR!!! AND I DID NOT EVEN REALIZE IT!!!

THANK YOU LORD FOR SHOWING ME THAT TODAY!


I hope this will help you see yourself as a conqueror too.


blessings
barbara jean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful way to think when we have fear and anxiety! Thanks for the reminder. Our son Jonathan left our home yesterday with his friend to drive their motorcycles all the way to Costa Rica. Fear and anxiety have bee so close to me in this situation- I am pressing on...