Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Come, Rest" and Prepositional Phrases


"Come unto me all you who labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest."
Matt:11:28

That is from the King James version,
which is how I learned that verse years ago.
When I was 'feeling weary' a few days ago,
I was not only feeling physically weary, but emotionally weary too.
And my brain felt frazzled on top of it all!

That is when I thought of the verse, and several
things about it.
I could not remember where the verse was to share
the reference with you.

First: if I were to try to look it up to share the reference,
how would I find it? Key words, I thought.
Which in my mind broke that verse down to Come, Rest.
Then I realized that all the rest of that verse is prepositional phrases;
phrases that add to the main thought.
(OK I am no English major, or even minor,
so if I do not have my thinking quite right on that,
just come along for the ride anyway.
It is the idea, not the perfection of English I am after here.)

So, how simple is that? COME, REST!

Now what I wondered,
"is that only for physical exhaustion?"
"I'm tired all over Lord."

So I looked up the verse.
(did not find it under "Come, Rest" by the way)

“Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls."
Matt. 11:28

28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on life, religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

27All things have been entrusted and delivered to Me by My Father; and no one [a]fully knows and [b]accurately understands the Son except the Father, and no one [c]fully knows and [d]accurately understands the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son [e]deliberately wills to make Him known.

28Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden

and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest.

[I will [f]ease and relieve and [g]refresh [h]your souls.]

29Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me,

for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart,

and you will find rest ([i]relief and ease and refreshment and

[j]recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.(A)

Come. Rest.

blessings and thanks for coming by

barbara jean

1 comment:

The Rustic Victorian said...

Hi Barb,
Thanks, I needed this too.
Love
Marcie